Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: OT: A Couple Informative Youtubers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    OT: A Couple Informative Youtubers

    Since you are here, if you own a soldering iron and or DMM these fellas have something for everybody.

    Youtube user names are "Uncle Doug" and "Mr Carlson's Lab"

    Uncle Doug covers mostly audio related electronics, and he has a great 3 part primer on "capacitors in audio circuits"



    Paul(Mr Carlson's Lab) takes you for a cool tour thru a nice Gates night broadcast tube transmitter in this video. Go to his channel, he's got something for everybody including a coule in depth capacitor videos of his own.

    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: OT: A Couple Informative Youtubers

    I checked out the broadcast transmitter video. That guy seems way too young to have aquired all that stuff! Of course maybe if I had a warehouse I would have more stuff too.

    I guess someone buys all the old equipment at auction when its replaced with newer gear.

    I never thought about someone collecting a bunch of old broadcast transmitters. Its a cool though because its an interesting part of history. I bet a lot of those just got scrapped

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: OT: A Couple Informative Youtubers

    My guess is that one or both of his parents, and probably a grandparent are/were design level EE's, or perhaps they were aliens. Or, dad or grampa was a radio station/transmitter technician.

    His electronic knowledge level biased by his enunciation of the silent "L" in "solder" is perplexing. Regardless of age, it is obvious to me that his hands-on experience is extensive. He was probably working on algebra when the rest of us were playing with Legos, Lincoln Logs, or Tinker Toys depending on which generation you fall into.

    Uncle Doug loves guitar amps, and he even seems to know how to bend the axe strings. When you have the time, his vids are worth it.

    Both these fellas are pretty eccentric. One thing i have learned over the years with EE's and techs is that eccentricity seems to be proportional to competence.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: OT: A Couple Informative Youtubers

    Paul's usage of "this here" reminds me of a southerner. The way pronouces other words makes me think he is Canadian or something.

    Its funny you mention Legos and Linkin logs. I had both as a kid and my kids are playing with them as I write this. Lol.
    I never had tinker toys.

    I agree we can learn a lot from these guys.

    Edit. I forgot what tinker toys looked like. I googled them and I did also have tinker toys. Those were fun. I must have gotten rid of them at some point.
    My wife rags on me about keeping everything. She thinks it weird that I still have all my childhood toys. I told her that hoarding runs in my family
    Last edited by Elitopus1; May 5th, 2017 at 12:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: A Couple Informative Youtubers


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: OT: A Couple Informative Youtubers

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    edit. I forgot what tinker toys looked like. I googled them and I did also have tinker toys. Those were fun. I must have gotten rid of them at some point.
    My wife rags on me about keeping everything. She thinks it weird that I still have all my childhood toys. I told her that hoarding runs in my family
    maybe you were thinking "erector set".
    Sonic Barbarian

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.